Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

A Birthday Blessing

Today is my birthday, and although I know there is all things fun happening on Facebook, there's joyful wishes on LinkedIn, and I have a beautiful Google birthday doodle on my Google page, the thing that's already made my day, in just the first hour, is a telephone call from my sister Denise.

Those of you who are not baby boomers may wonder why a phone call could be so special. Well, because of all the things that happen today, that one thing, brings everything home to me.  You see our mother used to call each of her six children early in the morning on our birthdays. She'd be the first voice we'd hear.  She'd be the first person to listen to what was happening, our hopes, our dreams our challenges.

So hearing a voice, and receiving a call, early in the morning on my birthday is still special to me.  I grew up when phones hung on the wall, when you had a rotary dial, when the operators would be the primary source or assistance and when our voices--the spoken word--were phenomenal ways of keeping in touch.

It's been 23 years since my mom has moved on to be with the Lord.  I am grateful to her and my father for so many things, her special phone calls, their guidance, their love, their support, but primarily for my faith.  For I know that Denise's call this morning, was a gift from our Heavenly Father, who knew that was what I needed today.

May God watch over you and keep you in His care.

No comments:

Post a Comment